Thursday 3 February 2011

Chocolate Squash Mud Cake

Chocolate squash mud cake, not squashed chocolate mud cake. Do not be confused for these are very different things! And yes, it is once again apparent that my photography skills are not really up to scratch. This is a pity because this is a rather delicious cake, and had my presentation of it been better, I think you would have been more likely to make it. I admire the many food bloggers who manage to take such beautiful photos of brown cakes, making them look inviting and delicious. I'm going to rely on your trust - you'll just have to believe me when I say that this cake tastes better than I've made it look!


The recipe is originally a Dan Lepard (he strikes again!) one and another success to add to the list. The Guardian version, Pumpkin Chocolate Mud Cake can be found here, and as you can tell from the name of the post I used Butternut Squash rather than pumpkin, the former being rather more easily available and in a more convenient size! I dealt with the obvious nut problem by directly substituting raisins - yum! But I'm sure that for nut lovers out there, the specified pecans would be fabulous - adding a crunch to this deliciously dense cake. I have to admit that my palate isn't sophisticated enough to be able to tell that this cake contained butternut squash, but I don't really mind. All I know is that it was a particularly delicious chocolate cake, and that's good enough for me!

Do you see what I mean about it being unattractive? Ignore the picture (I nearly didn't add it, but then thought that this blog is about truth if nothing else and this picture is the truth - you need to know that it doesn't have to look perfect to taste great!) and make the recipe. You can pretty it up with the recommended icing but I didn't bother. My colleagues loved this one - it went very quickly - after all, who can resist chocolate cake!

7 comments:

Nic's Notebook said...

I think it looks pretty good - nice & moist!! A cake with butternut squash in it - I will def have to try this out :)

Chele said...

Photography skills are so over rated lol. Its the ingredient list that counts and this one has all that matters .... CHOCOLATE!! Looks fab to me ;0)

Joanna said...

It looks great, I have the same thing about photographing brown cakes.

Interesting that you chose butternut squash. When I was getting going on making pumpkin pie, lots of things I read suggested using butternut squash instead as it is less watery than a big pumpkin. I didn't as I had the pumpkin to use, but another time I think I would do exactly that. Save a slice for me!

Katie said...

Ohhh yum! Love the look of the texture, very soft and tender.

cupcakegirl said...

Oh this looks so yummy.

Johanna GGG said...

oh yum - I love pumpkin in baking - but often it is the softness and depth of flavour it adds rather than really detecting the flavour - because who wants to think about vegetables while eating cake anyway!

Caroline said...

Nic - thank you.

Chele - chocolate is indeed the most important thing for a cake to possess!

Joanna - you'd be very welcome to a slice!

Katie - thank you.

Cupcakegirl - thank you.

Johanna - I think you're right about the depth of flavour and the soft texture - I wouldn't mind adding pumpkin again, but it was a bit of a pain to grate it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...