Thursday 20 January 2011

White chocolate and fig biscuits

When I made these biscuits, they were destined to be this month's We Should Cocoa entry - they certainly fulfil the criteria; chocolate - check, leftovers - check... again in the form of the packet of unloved dried figs. (See also, Chocolate fig cake). But while nice enough, they just didn't do it for me. I don't seem to be very good at baking biscuits - these didn't turn out how I was expecting at all, they are described as 'super indulgent biscuits - soft, chewy and fruity, with creamy white chocolate chips. Heavenly' - no wonder I couldn't resist giving them a try. I'm more inclined to blame myself and my habit of overbaking biscuits, than I am to blame the recipe, which looks fine to me. I also don't think that the white chocolate (also left over from Christmas) complemented the figs very well. I find it very difficult to bake successfully with white chocolate - I tend to overbake it and it scorches, which isn't very successful really. So a combination of poor ingredient choice for my taste and overbaking the biscuits means that these probably won't be repeated.

The recipe came from the Popina Book of Baking, which is a really lovely book, with lots of good ideas and I've got lots bookmarked to make, it just doesn't seem like this was one of the most successful for me to choose. There were no complaints from colleagues (not that I was expecting them!) but no particular compliments either.


4 comments:

Chele said...

What a shame, they sound and look very tasty indeed. I know what you mean though, each month I start a recipe thinking this will be my 'We Should Cocoa' recipe and then it isn't quite what I want.

Caroline said...

Chele - I'm sure it's just me being fussy. They were ok, just not particularly special or memorable. Thanks for commenting though!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I can see that white chocolate and figs might be a bit too sweet together. But I admire anyone who can pipe tidy little squiggles like that!

barbara said...

I too made these and they bore no resemblance whatsoever to the picture in the Popina book. I think the answer is to roll the dough in your hands into little balls and put a piece of fig and one of chocolate on the top, having added the remainder to the dough. Then they may spread out to a more even shape and look like the book illustration. Mine looked exactly like the ones in your website photo and while they tasted OK they weren't as much of a wow as I was expecting. I also suspect I chopped the figs and the chocolate too small.. I will try again ... eventually.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...