Wednesday 20 April 2011

Oat and maple syrup scones

I love scones, they make a great snack - not too heavy but substantial enough to fill a gap. And even better when topped with butter (preferably melted) and jam. So when I saw this recipe at Smitten Kitchen I couldn't wait to try it. I loved the idea of including oats and a proportion of wholemeal flour in the recipe, and having enjoyed these maple syrup cupcakes, I wanted to see how the maple syrup flavour worked with the scones.

I didn't want too many scones, so halved the recipe and made them slightly smaller than specified.


Oat and Maple Syrup Scones (adapted from Smitten Kitchen)

Ingredients

130g plain white flour

40g wholemeal flour

20g oats

2 level tsp baking powder

55g butter

40g maple syrup

90ml milk


Method

- Preheat the oven to Gas 6/200C. Put a piece of parchment paper onto a baking tray.

- Rub the butter into the flours, baking powder and oats.

- Add the maple syrup and milk and bring together to a dough.

- Pat out on a floured work surface and then cut out your scones (my cutter was 5cm/2" diameter and I got 8 scones I think). Place on baking tray and brush with milk to glaze.

- Bake for around 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

- Remove to a wire rack to cool.


I added more milk to my adaptation because otherwise I can't imagine them coming together as a dough at all, these weren't particularly sticky to work with and I added quite a bit more milk than specified. I also forgot to add sugar, relying solely on the maple syrup for sweetness.

I'm afraid these really didn't work for me at all. They rose fine and were fairly attractive and I could appreciate the oats had added a nice chewy texture. Sadly the amount of baking powder used was sufficient to give that horrible 'behind the teeth' feeling that I hate - I don't know why it seems to happen if I use plain flour + baking powder, but not with just self raising flour (which after all is just plain flour and a raising agent...) but it was nasty. I couldn't taste maple syrup at all, and found the scones quite dry, perhaps I overbaked them. Anyway, I wouldn't bother with this recipe again, although if you want to try sticking more closely to the Smitten Kitchen recipe perhaps it would work better. Disappointing.

7 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

shame they didn't work out - these are on my list of things to bake - have the rose bakery cookbook that I think they come from - wonder if you would enjoy them more if you used sr flour?

Chele said...

What a shame, there is nothing worst than the taste of too make baking powder which I have learnt through bitter experience myself. They look so good!

Rhyleysgranny said...

How disappointing for you. As a scone maker of years and years Could I suggest you use baking soda and buttermilk/milk soured with lemon juice. You need the acid with the baking soda. In my experience you get a better scone :)

Anonymous said...

Such a shame, since they look so pretty!

Kate@whatkatebaked said...

Sorry to hear they didn't work out_ I had a similar baking disaster with easter biscuits this week. It felt very disappointing!

katescakesandbakes

Alicia Foodycat said...

Your easter baking looks lovely, but these scones are more my speed! I know EXACTLY what you mean about flour and baking powder. I don't know why it gives such a horrible metallic taste when self raising doesn't.

Lori said...

I love scones too. I made some maple syrup ones from a book called The Cornbread Gospels- they were awesome. Give them a try!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...