Sunday 8 April 2012

White Chocolate Easter Cake


A sweet and simple cake to fill you and your family with sweetness and light this Easter.

The recipe comes from BBC Good Food and can be found here. It was originally intended to be a charity baking recipe to raise money for BBC Children in Need in 2010. I modified it only slightly by adding 140g chopped chocolate to the cake batter before baking, and then iced it with a different frosting.


White Chocolate Icing
150g white chocolate (I used Lindt)
40g unsalted butter
vanilla - see below
- Melt the chocolate and butter together over a pan of hot (or simmering) water. Do not allow to overheat.
- Allow to cool to spreading consistency, and spread over the cake.
- Decorate with mini eggs. Cadbury's are my all time favourite.

The frosting wasn't really a particular success - there wasn't quite enough to go around and I had to leave part of the cake bare. I'd use 200g at least in the future. Or use the recipe supplied by BBC Good Food!!! I added a little vanilla to the melted chocolate and butter mix, but I don't recommend this because it caused the previously smooth mixture to seize and go grainy. It still tasted good, but didn't look great. I used it anyway.

Chocolate mostly at the bottom of the cake....

Quick and easy (well, if you've remembered to soften your butter sufficiently, I hadn't really!) and therefore perfect to whip up at the last minute to feed a houseful of visitors over this Easter weekend. It will be much appreciated by the small, sweet loving people in your life. This is a lot of white chocolate and is therefore really quite sweet! Moist, light and chocolatey this was appreciated by my colleagues as a pre-Easter treat. Expect to find most of the chocolate at the bottom of the cake (annoying!). I had to very carefully prise the cake off its parchment lining and still lost a fair amount of the chocolate on the way.


Happy Easter everyone, I hope you have a peaceful time with family and friends, celebrating and eating chocolate.

I'm entering this cake into TeaTime Treats, run by Kate of What Kate Baked (this month's host) and Karen of Lavender and Lovage.

12 comments:

Baking Addict said...

This looks light and delicious. Love the simplicity of it. Shame the white chocolate sunk and stuck to the bottom - looks good anyway. Happy Easter! :)

Anne said...

Glad you managed to salvage the icing - it does look good! I once tried adding Crusha to white chocolate icing and it seized too, must be unstable..

Happy Easter! x

Suelle said...

This sounds like a really moist cake; shame the chocolate sunk although that doesn't spoil the flavour!

Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce said...

Shame about the chocolate sinking to the bottom, however, this could make an interesting layer to the cake with a different texture! Sounds like a very tasty cake. Happy Easter!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Mmmmmmmm, a slice of that would be just the ticket right now. It look so good :)

Johanna GGG said...

I usually find white chocolate too sweet and yet I find it gives nice flavour to a vanilla cake without overwhelming it. Like the little eggs on top too.

Chele said...

I have made this cake more times than i should probably admit and it always goes down a treat. A brill recipe. Happy Easter.

Karen S Booth said...

SO light and such a lovely change to the usual Simnel cake recipe.....this is a lovely Tea Time Treats entry and thanks so much for baking them for us all! Karen Happy Easter too....

Hotly Spiced said...

What a beautiful looking Easter cake and white chocolate would be a welcome relief from the usual dark chocolate. I love the little eggs on top of each slice - gorgeous!

Pilar. Cook and Spoon said...

I have just found your blog and everything I see in it is so delicious! Although a bit late Happy Easter. Greetings.

Choclette said...

It's so annoying when the chocolate sinks and must be even more so if it sticks to the bottom. They look lovely though, especially with a nice little egg on top - mmmm!

Caroline said...

Ros - it's a lovely simple cake to mix up. It doesn't really matter that the chocolate sank - it all tastes the same!

Anne - I think white chocolate is very temperamental!

Suelle - it was lovely and moist and as you say, the flavour was still good!

Hazel - I hadn't thought of it like that! Happy Easter to you too.

Jac - it was a good cake!

Johanna - I can't eat white chocolate on its own (well, unless you force me) but it does add a nice flavour to cake. What would an Easter cake be without eggs?!

Chele - definitely a keeper :-)

Karen - well, if you can't have Simnel cake you've got to have chocolate cake instead! Happy Easter to you too!

Hotly Spiced - thanks! I use dark chocolate quite a lot, so it was nice to use white instead here.

Pilar - welcome! I'm glad you've found me, and pleased that you like what you see. Happy Easter to you too!

Choclette - annoying indeed, but the bits stuck to the bottom were cooks perk so all was not lost ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...