Tuesday 20 November 2012

White Chocolate Chocolate Cookies



These are the result of me picking up the Waitrose recipe cards instore on a recent shopping trip. Yes, I could do my shopping online, but then I'd miss out on this kind of thing. Some might say this would be good for both my bank balance and waistline and I'd be inclined to agree on both counts, but then my life is more fun with cookies in it than without, so I'm prepared to make sacrifices...

This recipe was originally for Chocolate and Macadamia Cookies and is in association with Green and Black's. You can find the original recipe here, but as I can't have macadamia nuts I have adapted it slightly by adding more chocolate.


White Chocolate Chocolate Cookies
Ingredients
115g butter, softened
60g icing sugar
100g plain flour
20g Green and Black's Cocoa powder
1/2tsp vanilla extract
100g white chocolate, chopped (I didn't use G&B here)

Method
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale. Add the flour and cocoa powder to the butter mixture and beat in with the vanilla extract.
- Stir in the chopped white chocolate.
- Roll the mixture into 16 walnut sized balls and place on two parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake for about 12 minutes (the recipe specifies 15 but mine were overdone by then) but check at 10.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack, or devour whilst still warm and full of melty chocolate.

Tips: 
* Definitely don't leave them for 15 minutes. My first tray were definitely overdone and bordering on bitter and burnt which is such a pity (I ate them anyway...). The second batch, left in for less time, and with the door opened a couple of times to check on progress were much better.
* Green and Black's Cocoa is the way to go here - it's so much darker in colour than (for example) Cadbury's that although I have never actually dipped my finger into both of them to do a taste test comparison, I'm sure that the G&B has a better depth of flavour for this kind of recipe.


Slightly crumbly round the edges and softer and chewier in the middle I did enjoy these. They aren't a 'Millie's Cookie'/American Cookie style with a very chewy centre (I guess because this recipe is eggless) but they are delicious all the same and very quick and easy to make, bake and importantly, eat!

If you visit the Waitrose website you can find more than 5000 recipes - I think I am required to say this in order to be able to publish their recipe, but actually it's entirely not a problem because I really would recommend their website anyway - full of delicious recipes.

8 comments:

Suelle said...

Extra chocolate is always good!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I'm also a fan of the Green & Blacks cocoa. Very rich flavour!

celia said...

I wonder if the G&B cocoa is Dutch-processed? These sound very decadent and delicious, Caroline! :)

Anonymous said...

Shopping in store is so much better onilne, you can hunt down all the bargains plus I've found that when you order online they bring you all the wilting/over-ripe/bruised fruit and veg so I much prefer to choose myself!

I'm also a fan of Waitrose recipes - they have one for a white chocolate and strawberry tart that is my no-fail dessert choice if I need something to impress!

Caroline said...

Suelle - yes indeed!

Foodycat - it's surprising how much darker the G&B is compared to Cadbury's cocoa - I guess this is what gives it the flavour.

Celia - yes, it's Dutched. The tub specifically says that the added potassium carbonate is to regulate the acidity and that this process is known as dutching.

HH - yes, I like bargain hunting too.... I just need to get better at using my bargains! That white chocolate and strawberry tart sounds good, I'll have to have a look for that.

Choclette said...

That's interesting C, I've not used icing sugar in a cookie dough before. I wonder what difference it makes as opposed to using one of the other sugars. I tend to use G&B because it's organic but also it definitely tastes better than any other cocoa I've come across. Having said that, I do use raw cocoa for some things, but it's a lot more expensive, so I use it sparingly.

Chele said...

I need these cookies in my life! They look such a decadent treat.

Nic said...

Anything with MORE chocolate gets my vote!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...