Thursday 11 October 2012

Black Bottom Triple Chocolate Flapjacks


I love a good piece of flapjack (you can see more of my flapjack recipes here). There are lots and lots of recipes around for flapjack, ranging from the genuinely-good-for-you to the downright-decadently-delicious. When I was deciding how to give this batch of flapjacks a different twist I quickly remembered that this week is Chocolate Week (major sponsor Divine Chocolate - a fabulous company with great ethics and great products that I am always happy to champion). There is some really interesting info about chocolate there too. I am definitely going to browse their site for more chocolate knowledge.

So that was my decision made for me - chocolate was the way to go. I wanted to really ramp up the chocolate decadence in these flapjacks and so I decided to use cocoa powder (why have I never come across flapjacks made with cocoa powder before now? Great idea) and two different types of chocolate - white chocolate to contrast with the dark cocoa layer and butterscotch milk chocolate in the plain layer because it's downright delicious. These are definitely towards the decadent end of the scale. Oats, chocolate, butter, deliciousness. What's not to like.

Seeing the layers clearly

Triple Chocolate Flapjacks
Ingredients
125g butter
90g light muscovado sugar
150g golden syrup
260g oats
2 tbsp cocoa powder
50g white chocolate, chopped
50g butterscotch milk chocolate, chopped (or any other chocolate you fancy)

Method
- Grease and line an 8"/20cm square tin with baking parchment. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
- Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup over a low heat.
- When melted, add the oats and mix well to combine.
- Measure half of the mixture (this is about 300g) into a separate small bowl.
- To the mixture remaining in the pan add the cocoa powder and mix well until the colour is dark and even.
- Add the white chocolate to the dark oat mixture and very briefly mix to combine - you need to be quick because the white chocolate will start to melt.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and level out as best you can - a bit tricky as the cocoa powder makes the mixture very thick and sticky.
- To the remaining plain oat mixture (in the bowl) add your milk chocolate of choice and again, mix briefly bearing in mind that the chocolate will start to melt quickly.
- Spoon onto the mixture already in the tin and level out.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the flapjack is golden on the top.
- Alllow to cool in the tin and after about 20 minutes, slice into pieces - this is much easier when the flapjack is warm than when it has gone completely cold.
- Enjoy!


Other flapjack recipes you might enjoy...
White Chocolate Cherry and Cinnamon Flapjack
Rudolph's Flapjacks
Chocolate Peanut Butter Flapjacks
Treacle and Ginger Flapjack

These are a firm, chewy (very chocolatey) flapjack, not a soft chewy one but they are definitely not crunchy. I like a bit of chewy body to my flapjacks, and these were well received by those who tried them.


I am also entering these into Fleur's Challenge Flapjack. I have no doubt there will be many delicious entries, far more creative than mine, but I'm going for the decadence angle!

11 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

Oh WOW. These look divine!

Alicia Foodycat said...

... which was not a pun!

Choclette said...

Love the two layer spin on these flapjacks C. Both layers sound totally delicious and together they must be ... following in Foodycat's footsteps .... divine :)

Anonymous said...

These look great - they'd be perfect for me to make for a certain chocolate-obsessed other half!

ALL your flapjack recipes look fantastic though, for some reason every time I make a batch something goes a little bit wrong, either overcooked, too dry, too chewy... what's your secret?!

Suelle said...

There's definitely a WOW! factor to these flapjacks - they sound delicious.

Unknown said...

do you know I don't think i've ever made flapjacks before but if i'm going to start I should do it with this gorgeous chocolate ones... they look and sound very very good!

Johanna GGG said...

I love flapjacks but they always fall apart on me (well mostly) - thought I can never resist a good oat and chocolate combo like this

Nic said...

I love flapjacks, but with chocolate they are even better!

Chele said...

I am positively swooning over those photo's, triple chocolate flapjacks!! What a fantastic idea.

Caroline said...

Foodycat - heehee!

Choclette - I don't think I've seen layered flapjacks before, and I wonder why I've never thought to add cocoa powder to them before...

Natalie - I bet your hungry pony would love these. I'm afraid I don't really have a secret. I think these were a bit on the hard side this time, but still very edible. It's difficult because the perfect flapjack for one person will be too soft/hard/chewy/crumbly for another!

Suelle - thank you.

Dom - I can't believe you've never made flapjacks - they're super quick to do and very tasty. Give them a bash.

Johanna - I think maybe the secret to them not falling apart is more butter and golden syrup than is wise to think about!

Nic - most things are better with chocolate!

Homemade by Fleur said...

Wow!! This is just my kind of flapjack. Loving all the chocolate. Will defo try this one at home and thanks for entering into Challenge Flapjack.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...