Yes, you did read that correctly... chocolate raisins. I was looking round for inspiration for something to do with a very over-ripe banana. Just the one. Not the three or four called for by most recipes for banana bread. So I decided to make something up of my own. Hence the looking round for inspiration. And then my eyes landed on a lonely, unloved looking packet of white chocolate raisins. Don't ask why I bought them... being on special offer
probably definitely had something to do with it, because I have to be in the right mood to want raisins, and white chocolate isn't my favourite either... I really don't understand myself sometimes! Anyway, the raisins seemed to be good for baking with. And once I'd decided that chocolate was the way to go I had to add some dark chocolate too, just because that's my true chocolate love.
So here we go...
Banana, chocolate and chocolate raisin cake
140g very soft butter
100g golden caster sugar
75g light muscovado sugar
1 very overripe banana, mashed
100g wholemeal self raising flour
125g self raising flour
65g dark chocolate, chopped small (or you could use more white chocolate)
100g white chocolate coated raisins
- Preheat the oven to gas 4/180C. Grease and line a small baking/roasting tin 20x23 cm.
- Cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the mashed banana and mix.
- Add the eggs and flour and beat until well combined.
- Stir in the white chocolate raisins and chocolate.
- Spread into the prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes until risen, golden and an inserted cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack.
Excellent, moist, light texture and the chunks of chocolate and juicy raisins in the cake were delicious, but then I think you can never really go wrong with chocolate and cake, especially in combination! Most of the white chocolate surrounding the raisins disappeared during baking - you can just see a raisin with a little of its white chocolate in the middle of the picture above. So in that respect, the experiment didn't work - the white chocolate vanished. Overall the cake was delicious, but without a pronounced banana flavour. Win.