Saturday 22 May 2010

Crystallised ginger oat biscuits

Another successful biscuit recipe from Delia. I seem to be on a ginger kick at the moment. Very similar to these chocolate and apricot oat crunchies I made a while ago. Easy to make, quick to bake and ideal when you don't want to have the oven on for too long. I made them smaller than suggested by Delia, but found they took about the same length of time to bake.

You can find the original ingredients and method here, but I'll list them again here, as I made a couple of changes. Simple ingredients, but tasty. I realised halfway through making them that my ground ginger was hiding from me, and not wishing to become involved in a game of hide and seek in my incredibly disorganised cupboards, I left out the ground ginger. If I had my time again I'd keep searching because I think these biscuits would have benefitted from the extra punch and heat of ginger flavour.

Crystallised ginger and oat biscuits
Ingredients
65g crystallised stem ginger, chopped fairly small
110g butter
75g demarara sugar
25g treacle
110g self raising flour
110g porridge oats
pinch salt
1tsp ground ginger (although I didn't add this I think they would benefit from it!)

Method
- Preheat the oven to gas 3/170C. Line a baking tray with silicon baking parchment.
- Melt the butter, sugar and treacle over a low heat.
- Stir in all the remaining dry ingredients.
- Form into balls (Delia suggests 16 total, I decided to make smaller biscuits and got 28, baked in two batches of 14) and place on the baking sheet. Squash slightly.
- Bake for aroung 15-20 minutes (depending on size) until just lightly golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Enjoy!

More popular with colleagues than their rustic appearance might have led you to believe - I was certainly expecting them to hang around for a few days, but these were disappearing from the biscuit tin before my eyes! I enjoyed them, the treacle was subtle, but noticeable (well, it was noticeable to me because I knew it was there, but I'm not convinced anyone else noticed!) but think they would definitely have benefitted from my being able to locate the ground ginger in my kitchen cupboards, hmmm, I wonder where it's hiding? Makes mental note to go and check.....

11 comments:

Rhyleysgranny said...

They look so good. Just perfect for a bit of crunch with a cuppa. My spice jar cupboard is like that. I swear there are gremlins in there hiding jars from me deliberately

Chele said...

Mmmmm - they look like perfect dunking type biscuits!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like my sort of biscuit! Mm do you think they would work with the stem ginger too? On the subject of lost spices have you heard Michael McIntyre http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75r7UflPoNw? Hilarious!

Caroline said...

Rhyleysgranny - I think I have my share of those gremlins too!

Chele - yep I reckon these would stand up well to being dunked

Joanna - thank you SO much for that link, I nearly fell off my sofa laughing! I can so relate to what he's saying. I think all the spices in my cupboard must feel like that! (Yes, I know that I shouldn't ascribe emotions to jars of spices!) I particularly liked the ending - that rings true too! I'm going to investigate more of Michael McIntyre!

Katiecakes said...

They look as tasty! I love ginger!

Katie xox

Alicia Foodycat said...

These look delicious! I do love ginger biscuits.

Lucie said...

These look the perfect biccies, I bet these would dunk perfectly! Lucie x

The Caked Crusader said...

I too adore ginger - and oddly, I always crave it more in hot weather! These look perfect for enjoying with a cup of tea

Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial said...

Oh yum! I love ginger cookies...

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I am a fan of ginger oaty cookies, I have been making a lot lately. They are very popular. These look lovely :)

Choclette said...

The rustic look is great - love the sound of these, but think you are probably right about hunting a bit further for the ginger.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...