Wednesday 18 May 2011

Chocolate Roulade with Black Forest Buttercream


It is once again time for this month's We Should Cocoa hosted alternately by Chele of Chocolate Teapot and Choclette of Chocolate Log Blog, and after missing a couple due to dislikes and allergies I was thrilled when Chele announced that this months challenge was to be roulades. Actually, that's a slight lie, I was pleased to know that I'd be able to participate, but rather less pleased to be informed that I would be making a roulade.


Let me explain a little..... although necessary in much successful baking and essential in some, eggs are often my nemesis. It's definitely a love/hate relationship, particularly when it comes to either separating them (I can separate, it's just what happens next!) or making cakes that require lots of volume from egg - either whisking whole eggs or egg whites. The only other roulade I have ever attempted to make was many, many years ago and was a chocolate yule log (I've always loved chocolate!). I can't remember whose recipe I used, and I don't recall it cracking irreparably but the verdict delivered by T, as one of the chief tasters will never be forgotten (nor probably forgiven)...

'It's really dense and chewy, this...'

I think he meant it as a compliment. But it really wasn't the desired texture. I could see after baking as the cake sank into itself that it wasn't ever going to be a success (and I think I refused to eat any myself in protest) and those words just confirmed it. So I've never wanted to try again. Which leads us back to the challenge set by Chele this month. A real challenge!


I found a couple of recipes that I quite liked the look of and then adapted them to suit the size of cake tin I had (and if I'm really honest, the amount of ingredients I could bear to waste if it all came to nothing!). Thankfully, as you can see from the top picture, this was a success - I'm not sure that I've mastered the art of eggs, but I'm one little step closer!

Chocolate Roulade with Black Forest Buttercream
Ingredients
3 eggs (at room temperature)
85g light muscovado sugar
60g self raising flour
15g cocoa powder (Green and Blacks)

For the filling
Jar of good quality dark cherry jam (you won't need all of it) 

Chocolate buttercream*
60g chocolate
1tbsp cocoa powder
2tbsp boiling water
90g butter
250g icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

* I'm afraid I have shamelessly stolen this buttercream from Kate's Cakes and Bakes, a really lovely blog with some wonderful sweet treats - check it out. She describes this as a chocolate fudge frosting, but mine was more buttercream like - I think I beat it far too much rather than just stirring!

Method
- Preheat the oven to Gas 5/190C. Grease and line a 20x30cm shallow tin with baking parchment.
- Beat the eggs and sugar for about 8-10 minutes until very thick and the beaters leave a trail. (I love my stand mixer!)

Mmm, thick and whippy!

- Sift the flour and cocoa powder onto the mixture and fold in carefully but thoroughly. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, as below:

Mmm, bubbly!

- Bake for 10-15 minutes until firm.
- Remove from the oven and turn onto a wire rack. When slightly cooler (i.e. you can touch it without burning yourself) roll it up in parchment paper, allowing the parchment to be rolled inside the cake. Allow to cool completely.

- Make the buttercream by melting the chocolate and, separately, dissolving the cocoa in the boiling water. Combine the two.
- Cream the butter and sugar and then add the chocolate mixture and vanilla. Beat until soft and creamy.
- When the roulade is cool, unroll very gently and spread with the buttercream. Then blob on a generous amount of jam. Roll back up and dust with icing sugar.

- Marvel at your amazing creation!!!


Can you tell I was really, disproportionately proud of myself for managing to make this roulade?!? Admittedly it doesn't have the most number of turns that I've ever seen in a roll, but it definitely qualifies and I'm going to boast! It was light and moist and chocolatey, and the sweet buttercream and cherry jam were a yummy filling. Thanks for the challenge Chele!

15 comments:

Kate@whatkatebaked said...

That looks utterly brilliant! I'm going to have a go (slightly apprehensively) at my attempt for We Should Cocoa tomorrow- I am looking towards yours to inspire me C!! It must have tasted dee-lish!

Suelle said...

The round-up of this challenge is going to be really interesting, I think.

Some recipes are definitely more successful than others - and I think it is the recipe, not the expertise of the cook that is the deciding factor!

Well done, C, this looks really good, and delicious, classic flavours too!

Unknown said...

Well it looks damn fine to me! I can't wait to see all the roulades in the round up. I live your buttercream filling. It just looks divine x

Katie said...

Looks marvelous! I adore cherries and chocolate together. The roulade looks so light.

Maria♥ said...

Oh wow, that looks so gorgeous! I'd love a slice right now :)

Maria
x

cocoa and coconut said...

I have just been craving black forest cake/cupcakes/anything for so long now it's not funny. But I don't have a recipe for it..and so I got sidetracked! But finally I do! And in roulade form; that's even better!! Great picture too.

Anne said...

Oh wow yum! Love the whole black forest combo, glad your roulade worked - I am a bit scared of separating eggs too, always been hit and miss for me!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Well done. I'd be boasting too!

Anonymous said...

C, you should be disproportionately proud, because that is magnificent!! Chocolatey goodness!

Choclette said...

Well done C, I'm most impressed with your roll. You've obviously got the right touch. I've tried the same technique as you and it just crumbled to bits - hey ho! It sounds really good with the cherry jam too.

Janna Renee said...

blackforest cream? say no more!!!

Johanna GGG said...

I would be proud if I made such a cake - looks amazing and the flavours are exactly what i love (and I understand your feeling on eggs - I appreciate what they can do but prefer not to mess with them myself)

Aveen said...

I think this looks fantastic! Even better than black forest gateau because you don't have all the sickly cream before you get to the lovely cherry bit. I'd love a slice :)

Caroline said...

Kate - thank you! Yours looks fab too!

Suelle - I thought yours looked amazing, thanks for the comment. The round up is great - they're all so different aren't they!

Dom - thanks!

Katie - I was really pleased with how light the cake part turned out.

Maria - thank you!

Brittany - chocolate and cherry is such a lovely combination!

Anne - it was definitely the egg part that put me off a roulade!

CHFG - thank you. I try not to boast too much though!

Celia - thank you!

Choclette - I think it was partly luck though, and yours looks fab even if it didn't roll perfectly.

Janna - yum!

Johanna - thank you. I'm still working on appreciating eggs....

Aveen - thanks for commenting! Yes, I'm not much of a fan of whipped cream at all, so this is much better in that respect!

Baking Addict said...

You should definitely be proud of yourself! Its an amazing looking and sounding roll.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...