Wednesday 2 March 2011

Moist muscovado mango cake

After my recent not quite successful use of my bundt tin I was a little doubtful about using it again, but it gives cakes that are such a lovely shape that I just couldn't resist. There isn't very much in the way of seasonal fruit about at the moment (barring rhubarb) but a tropical mango provided the inspiration for this cake and its beautiful yellow, sunny flesh reminded me that sunshine and warmer weather will appear again, at some stage if not soon enough! (The weather here seems to be chillier this week than it was a week ago - we surely can't be regressing to winter.... perish the thought). I had thought about making this a mango and ginger cake, and then thought that light muscovado sugar would give a lovely caramelly flavour to complement the ginger. In the event though, I forgot to add the ginger to the batter, so it's turned out as a rather moist and delicious mango brown sugar cake.

Moist muscovado mango cake
Ingredients
175g butter, softened
175g light muscovado sugar
3 large eggs
195g self raising flour
flesh of 1 large mango, diced (I ended up with 215g mango flesh)
Method
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Grease your bundt tin well, I lined mine with a few strips of parchment paper to help the cooked cake out if it looked stuck, which it didn't.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until really light and fluffy - the colour will change and become much lighter.
- Add the eggs and flour and beat well until combined.
- Fold in the mango flesh until well mixed.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 40-45 minutes (slight guesstimate) until a cocktail stick/cake tester inserted comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for a little while, then turn out carefully onto a wire rack to cool.

Serve as is, or with custard for dessert.


Some of the mango chunks sank, but quite a few stayed suspended, very pleasingly. This was such a soft, moist, buttery, caramelly cake with soft chunks of mango adding another dimension. I was particularly pleased with the use of the light muscovado sugar, it really did add another level of flavour to the cake. I would definitely make this again, perhaps adding that ginger I meant to add the first time round, just a tsp to add a back note of ginger rather than a full on ginger cake. I'm certainly not sorry that I didn't put it in this time though, this was gorgeous with a cup of tea and would be perfect served with custard for a lovely warming dessert to ward off our chilly weather.

7 comments:

Chele said...

I'm liking the idea of Mango cake, tropical sunshine in a cake form. Looks wonderful and moist too.

Umm Mymoonah said...

My!My! What a delicious looking cake, so scrumptious. Love the mango bits.

Kim said...

Mmm looks lovely, I've been craving a moist fruit cake today so this is even more appealing today! I really want to get myself one of those tins - love the shape.

Katie said...

Looks delicious and very moist. I bet its great with a drizzle of hot custard.

Anne said...

Ooh it looks delicious, never thought about using mango in a cake before!

I do like the shape the bundt tin gives too :)

Anonymous said...

I've never thought to cook a mango into a cake before, but I love the use of muscovado sugar. It's hard to buy here (but not impossible) and very expensive, but one of these days I will buy some to play with! :)

Caroline said...

Chele - it was very moist - and the chunks of mango just melted in your mouth!

UM - it was pretty tasty!

Kim - using the mango worked well, I hope you managed to satisfy your fruit cake craving!

Katie - it would have been fab with custard had I not greedily finished it off before waiting to find out!

Anne - bundt tins are great aren't they!

Celia - the only reason I cooked mango in the cake was because it was looking forlorn and unloved. Such items are obviously begging to be turned into cake! It's funny how different ingredients are available around the world - I bet there are some things that are much more expensive here than where you are.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...