Friday 26 December 2008

White Chocolate and Cranberry Muffins


I needed something quick to make to take into work, and then, because T complains that he never gets anything I make and post about I thought I'd make something especially for him, and A, his girlfriend. Because I needed to make their present as late as possible to keep it fresh, muffins were ideal because they're quick and easy to make at the last minute when I really should have been packing and wrapping presents and various other things. So the same recipe suited for both purposes. I decided on very festive flavours for these muffins - dried cranberries, which I always feel go very well with white chocolate. I also used some very festive gold muffin cases which I bought specially for Christmas (although I'm not sure they were noticed really!).



I got slightly distracted whilst making the batch I took into work and for once the rubbish picture actually is a reflection of the fact that they were a little overdone. No worries though, a festive snowstorm came and disguised this fact..... how convenient! T and A will be pleased to know that their batch came out much better - as can be seen below. I always worry about pouring a semi-liquid lumpy mess almost to the rim of the muffin cases, imagining all sorts of mess when I open the oven (my oven sadly has a solid door so I can't watch what's happening) but miraculously these seem to work.



Cranberry and White Chocolate Muffins
Ingredients
9oz/250g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4oz/110g caster sugar
1 egg
8.5fl oz/250ml milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3fl oz/90ml vegetable oil
2.5oz/75g dried cranberries
2.5oz/75g white chocolate (chopped)

Method
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6 and put 12 muffin cases into a muffin tin.
- Sift the first 4 (dry) ingredients into a bowl.
- Mix the next 4 (liquid) ingredients in a separate bowl, whisking to break up the egg.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry and mix briefly (it will be lumpy, but try not to leave large amounts of dry flour). During the last few strokes add the cranberries and chocolate.
- Spoon/pour batter into the prepared cases.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until tops are lightly browned and spring back when pressed gently.
- Remove and cool on a wire rack.

Enjoy - or give away and watch other people enjoy them. In spite of being slightly overdone, these went down well at work, and I think T and A enjoyed them too!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...